“NEAR-EU: the Europeanization of higher education”
NEAR-EU is a project to establish a Nexus of European centres Abroad for Research (NEAR), on the Bologna Process and the European Higher Education Area. The overall goal of the NEAR-EU project is to broaden the field of European integration studies by incorporating the domain of higher education into the research and activities of centres for the study of Europe. The project will develop an inter-regional, collaborative academic space to enhance the study of European higher education policy and academic internationalization.
The developments in European higher education (HE) policy in recent decades have set the stage for exploring European integration studies from a further social perspective – that of higher education policy and practice. Moreover, the arena of HE is increasingly characterized by regionalization trends, with Europe presenting the most developed example. As such, the study of the Bologna Process, the EHEA, and the Europeanization and internationalization of higher education can also contribute to the overall field of European Studies and comparative regionalism.
Objectives of the NEAR-EU project
- To develop the academic field of European HE policy.
- To develop research methodologies in the field of EU HE policy.
- To strengthen the ability of European research centers to study European educational policy and its role in European integration.
- To create a wide inter-regional network of Bologna Research Centres which will engage in collaborative research, mutual learning and cross-fertilization processes.
- To assess the internationalization trends in partner countries.
- To enhance awareness in non-EU partner countries of the Bologna Process and familiarity with its practical tools.
- To stimulate debate on the implementation of the process and provide a platform for future enhancement of internationalization– being situated in leading and established European study centers, the BRCs are assured of stable and long-term platforms for continued activity and dissemination.
- To foster exchange of ideas and sharing of best practices among EU and Non-EU European Study Centers.
- To promote cooperation between the partner countries HE sectors and the EHEA.
For more information on the NEAR-EU project, please click here